To ease your nerves, take deep, slow
breaths. A technique that my textbook suggests is to take a deep breath in
through your nose for 10 seconds, then exhale through your mouth for 10
seconds.[1]
Another technique that I use to de-stress is to place my index finger over one nostril, then take a deep breath in for 5 seconds, then alternate finger to opposite nostril and exhale for 6 seconds. Then repeat for as long as needed until you feel the stress melt away.
By concentrating on your breathing and counting, it will help reduce your stress by taking your mind off of the looming presentation. [2]
1 Guffey, M.E., Rhodes, K., & Rogin, P. (2011). Business communication: process and product (6th Canadian ed). Toronto, ON: Nelson Education Ltd.
2 Guffey, M.E., Rhodes, K., & Rogin, P. (2011).
3 Sombilon, R. (2011, March 16). Breathe Mat (picture). Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsombilongallery/5633964589/
For me I don't really have stage fright but I do feel less nervous if I am more prepared. I think deep breathing is an awesome technique. Even if you need a few a few seconds in between powerpoint slides than it will make the audience more attentive because they will understand what the speaker is trying to say. Taking a few seconds to relax and breath will help the effectiveness of the presentation.
ReplyDelete