Friday, 3 February 2012

Convert Your Fear with Positive Self Talk

Turn your feeling of fear into a feeling of excitement. Anxiety is all in your mind. Instead of thinking about the butterflies in your stomach and the rapid heartbeat as feelings of anxiety, think about it as feelings of enthusiasm. Be enthusiastic about sharing your ideas and thoughts with others.[1]

Positive self-talk is a very powerful tool. Tell yourself that you are prepared and that you are ready to take the stage.[2] Remind yourself that you are only going to be on stage for a limited time, and then it’s over. Try not to focus on the negative thought that feed your anxiety.





Now it is your turn to tell me your thoughts!

I am really interested in other people’s strategies, so leave me a comment to let me know what you tell yourself to sooth your nerves before a presentation.




[1] Guffey, M.E., Rhodes, K., & Rogin, P. (2011). Business communication: process and product (6th Canadian ed). Toronto, ON: Nelson Education Ltd.
[2] Guffey, M.E., Rhodes, K., & Rogin, P. (2011).

1 comment:

  1. I hate public speaking. I guess this is because I always think that my audience look at me and judge my clothes, my hair, and my performance. Over the years and years of public speaking I started to realize that in fact nobody cares how you look like, what you wear or what you are talking about. I still get nervous in the first few minutes of the presentation (and I still hate it), but then I remind myself: “Nobody cares!” and it helps.

    ReplyDelete